San Francisco Psychotherapy and Counseling
How Do I Know If I Could Benefit From Psychotherapy?
This is a very personal decision to make. Below are some guidelines to help in considering whether you might find therapy helpful:
- You have trouble making or keeping satisfying relationships, and you want to understand the patterns that underlie this difficulty
- You realize that an emotional issue has been causing stress for a long time
- You feel depressed, anxious, fearful, agitated, or have trouble managing your anger
- You recognize behavior that seems self-defeating, out of control, addictive, self-destructive, or attempt to manage your feeling with food, alcohol or drugs
- You are frequently distressed by traumatic memories
- You have trouble obtaining or keeping a satisfying job, or your behavior keeps you from advancing in your career
- You find that you need more support than is available in your everyday life
- You have difficulty separating your feelings from the feelings of others
- You want to learn to stand up for yourself.
- You have questions about your sexuality or sexual identity
- You feel challenged as a parent
- You have difficulty expressing your feelings, or even knowing what you feel
If you are experiencing any of the above issues, it may be helpful to pursue seeing a professional therapist to help you.