San Francisco Therapy With Teens
Questions Teens Have About Therapy
What would therapy be like?
- You would have a non-judgmental adult to talk with about any problems you might have
- You will be treated as the expert about yourself (you know yourself the best)
- You don't need to just talk about feelings or answer a bunch of personal questions
- You would have a place to be real and honest with yourself about what you want and need
- You will not be blamed for the problem
Why would I see a therapist?
- Your parents might think you need someone besides them to talk about things going on in your life
- You might be in trouble and need some guidance to work through the problem
- To have someone help you respond to others concerns about you
- To tell your side of the story
- To have someone help you by working with your parents so they understand more about what's going on with you
How can a therapist help me?
- A therapist can help you understand your problems or why others think you have problems
- A therapist can help you figure out what you want from life and how to get it
- A therapist can work with your parents, teachers or others who think you have problems understand where you are coming from
- A therapist can help you understand why your parents or others are so worried or upset
What is important to keep in mind about therapy?
- What you want from therapy is up to you
- You can figure out how you will solve your problems
- There is no blaming
- Coming to therapy doesn't mean that you are the problem